Maximum devices in OSPF area 0

Richard A Steenbergen ras at e-gerbil.net
Mon Oct 19 15:46:26 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 19, 2009 at 08:39:40AM -0700, Serge Vautour wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We are looking to deploy a greenfield MPLS network with OSPF as the
> IGP. I'm told OSPF areas don't play well with OSPF TED. For this
> reason, we are looking at?using only area 0.?Only Loopback interfaces
> and p-p core?ethernet links will be in?OSPF.?What are the maximum
> number of Routers & Links that folks would be comfortable with putting
> in 1 area??If folks are already using this type of approach, could you
> share your current numbers?

If you aren't abusing your IGP with hundreds of thousands of routes, or
running some massive network with thousands of nodes on the edge, there
is no reason you can't (and shouldn't) run with a single area. IMHO
areas should be the anti-default, "if you has to ask, the answer is no".
The scenarios you see with lots of areas in books and labs are for
educational and testing purposes, not for sensible network design. :)