ISP customer assignments - and CIDR

James R. Cutler james.cutler at consultant.com
Fri Oct 16 21:44:59 UTC 2009

On Oct 16, 2009, at 5:19 PM, Owen DeLong wrote:

> I've taught both.  If you try to teach it in Decimal, Hex, or Octal,
> you're right, it's hard
> to teach CIDR and easy to teach classful.

It really does not matter the representation as long as you divide
your Address Pie with a Binary Knife.  Once you understand that --
1/2, 1/2 of 1/2, 1/2 of 1/2 of 1/2, ... -- then you should understand
CIDR.  Then, as Owen suggests, deal with the representation. Works for
IPv4, IPv6, and, probably, IPv8. ;)

Warning, strong opinion follows: One should never have to mention
Classful addressing except to note that it is archaic, anachronistic,
and used only by those who remain ignorant by preference.

James R. Cutler
james.cutler at consultant.com