ISP customer assignments

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Oct 16 21:19:36 UTC 2009

I've taught both.  If you try to teach it in Decimal, Hex, or Octal,
you're right, it's hard
to teach CIDR and easy to teach classful.

If you teach it in binary, I have found that not to be an issue.  Once
you teach it in binary,
it's fairly easy to move on to showing how octal and hex are just
different representations
of binary. Then you show dotted decimal as a really old-fashioned way
of representing
groups of 8 bits.

I've had no trouble teaching it this way, even to people who knew
nothing about technology.

Owen