ISP customer assignments

Nathan Ward nanog at daork.net
Wed Oct 14 05:59:19 UTC 2009

Ok, I've decided to do this a different way to my usual ranting.
Instead of explaining the options over and over and hoping people can
make sense of the complexities of it, become experts, and make good
informed decisions, I've made a flow chart. Feel free to ask about
details and I can get in to the ranting part, this is really a place
to start.

Right now it assumes people only provide DSL or other dynamic sort of
services.
It also assumes DS-Lite people are insane, so probably need better
language there.
Also the first question is not necessarily about who you are, but who
is driving the IPv6 'build' - which is why native, 6rd and ds-lite are
not appropriate for the customer-driven side. I hope that makes sense.
No talk about ISATAP and stuff for inside the customer network either.
And before you ask no ISATAP is not appropriate for ISPs, doesn't work
through NAT.

Anyway:
- 6RD is used by free.fr. Not widely implemented by anyone yet.
- DS-Lite is something some guys at Comcast and others are talking
about. Not widely implemented by anyone yet.
- The rest you can figure out from wikipedia and stuff.

Please email me with any corrections, complaints, or threats if you're
a DS-Lite fan. I'll always keep old versions in this directory, and
the latest version will always have this filename, so please link to
it instead of copying it, etc. etc.:

http://www.braintrust.co.nz/resources/ipv6_flow_chart/ipv6_flow_chart-current.pdf