ISP customer assignments

TJ trejrco at gmail.com
Tue Oct 13 10:18:31 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Justin
To go along with Dan's query from above, what are the preferred methods
that other SPs are using to deploy IPv6 with non-IPv6-capable edge
hardware?  We too have a very limited number of dialup customers and
will never sink another dollar in the product.  Unfortunately I also
have brand-new ADSL2+ hardware that doesn't support IPv6 and according
to the vendors (Pannaway) never will.  We also have CMTSs that don't
support IPv6, even though they too are brand-new.  Those CMTSs top out
at DOCSIS 2.0 and the vendor decided not to allow IPv6 to the CPEs
regardless of the underlying CM's IPv6 support or lack thereof (like
Cisco allowed for example).  Are providers implementing tunneling
solutions?  Pros/cons of the various solutions?

> My first (potentially ignorant) response would be to get your acquisitions

> people aligned with your business, and by that I mean they should be
making
> a concerted effort to only buy IPv6 capable gear, especially when IPv6 is

> coming to you within that gears lifecycle.
> I guess your customers will need to tunnel, as long as you give them a
public
> IP they have 6to4 (and possibly Teredo, tunnel broker) - but native is
better.