ISP customer assignments

George Michaelson ggm at apnic.net
Tue Oct 13 03:17:33 UTC 2009

On 13/10/2009, at 12:54 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

> On Oct 12, 2009, at 7:34 PM, Justin Shore <justin at justinshore.com>
> wrote:
>> I'm actually taking an IPv6 class right now and the topic of
>> customer assignments came up today (day 1).  The instructor was
>> suggesting dynamically allocating /127s to residential customers.
>> I relayed the gist of this thread to him (/48, /56 and /64).  I
>> expect to dive deeper into this in the following days in the class.
>
> Out of curiosity who is conducting this class and what was their
> rationale for using /127s?
>
> Doug

As a point of view on this, a member of staff from APNIC was doing a
Masters of IT in the last 3-4 years, and had classfull A/B/C
addressing taught to her in the networks unit. She found it quite a
struggle to convince the lecturer that reality had moved on and they
had no idea about CIDR.

I have from time to time, asked people in ACM and IEEE about how one
informs the tertiary teaching community about this kind of change. The
answers were not inspiring: compared to civil engineering, where
compliance issues and re-training by professionals is almost regulated
(sorry for the R- word) as a function of professional indemnity
insurance and status, its much more common for the syllabus to be
under continual review.

-George