ISP customer assignments

Justin Shore justin at justinshore.com
Tue Oct 13 02:34:14 UTC 2009

Dan White wrote:
> How are other providers approaching dial-up? I would presume we are in the
> same boat as a lot of other folks - we have aging dial-up equipment that
> does not support IPv6 (3com Total Control). Our customer base has dropped
> quite a bit, and we have even kicked around the idea dropping that service
> and forcing customers to purchase broadband service or go elsewhere.
>
> What are other providers doing, or considering doing?

I'd like to beat this dead horse some more if you gents don't mind.  I
think there's still some life left in the beast before we haul it off to
the glue factory.

I'm actually taking an IPv6 class right now and the topic of customer
assignments came up today (day 1).  The instructor was suggesting
dynamically allocating /127s to residential customers.  I relayed the
gist of this thread to him (/48, /56 and /64).  I expect to dive deeper
into this in the following days in the class.

What are providers doing for residential customers and how does it
different from business customers?  At what point are you assigning
bigger blocks?

To go along with Dan's query from above, what are the preferred methods
that other SPs are using to deploy IPv6 with non-IPv6-capable edge
hardware?  We too have a very limited number of dialup customers and
will never sink another dollar in the product.  Unfortunately I also
have brand-new ADSL2+ hardware that doesn't support IPv6 and according
to the vendors (Pannaway) never will.  We also have CMTSs that don't
support IPv6, even though they too are brand-new.  Those CMTSs top out
at DOCSIS 2.0 and the vendor decided not to allow IPv6 to the CPEs
regardless of the underlying CM's IPv6 support or lack thereof (like
Cisco allowed for example).  Are providers implementing tunneling
solutions?  Pros/cons of the various solutions?

Thanks
  Justin