IPv6 internet broken, Verizon route prefix length policy

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Tue Oct 13 02:13:04 UTC 2009

Leo Bicknell wrote:

> Worse, the problem is being made worse at an alarming rate.  MPLS
> VPN's are quicky replacing frame relay, ATM, and leased line circuits
> adding MPLS lables and VPN/VRF routes to edge routers.  Various
> RIR's are pushing "PI for all" in IPv6 based on addressing availbility.
> Some networks are actually finally using multicast for IPTV services,
> generating much larger number of entries than the global multicast table
> would otherwise indicate.

It's not the RIR's fault. IPv6 wasn't designed with any kind of workable
site multihoming. The only goal seems to have been to limit /32's to an
"ISP" but screw you if you aren't one. There was no alternative and it's
been how long now? PI, multihoming, multicast, etc. is reality because
the internet is now Very Serious Business for many, many people.

Yes, I know there's hacks like SHIM6 and I don't wish to go OT into a
debate about them, so I'll just say that if there had been a viable
alternative to multihoming as we know it I think it would have been
given a go before policy got pushed to the RIR's to allow IPv6 PI.

~Seth