IPv6 internet broken, cogent/telia/hurricane not peering

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Mon Oct 12 19:43:42 UTC 2009

On October 12, 2009, Dan White wrote:
> Reputation lists will just be on the /64, /56 and /48 boundaries, rather
> than IPv4 /32.

IF Network Operators started advertising and routing /64 addresses, and
assuming there were email servers our there running MX records on IPv6,

http://eng.genius.com/blog/2009/09/14/email-on-ipv6/

for the spammers to send too, they would quickly adopt the idea of large
blocks of IPv6 Addresses.  If you had to apply reputation to them
individually, it would make a much larger dataset to maintain.

If you look at for instance the number of IP's on RATS-DYNA and RATS-NOPTR,
(examples of IP's typically representative of DUL's) they have 65 Million IP's
in the database at /32 IPv4, just think what the numbers would be with IPv6.

Spammers could in theory be using a much larger set of routable IP's to send
from.  Once NAT is out, it opens a huge can of worms to detect and maintain
the size of databases that would be needed to reflect this new space.

With 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 compared to 4,294,967,296 anyone who is trying
to build an effecient way to gather and store reputation, has their work cut
out for them.

Currently, maintaining the reputation of the IPv4 space is feasible, however
once we reach IPv6 numbers, it would almost require a model of registering
IP's for certain uses.

We have enough trouble getting current providers to even have whois delgation,
of who is using what part of their IPv4 spaces, I don't expect it to get any
easier with IPv6.  Imagine the size of ACL lists?

"Catch the Magic of Linux..."
Michael Peddemors - President/CEO - LinuxMagic
Products, Services, Support and Development
Visit us at http://www.linuxmagic.com
"LinuxMagic" is a Registered TradeMark of Wizard Tower TechnoServices Ltd.

those of the author and are not intended to  represent those of the company.