IPv6 internet broken, cogent/telia/hurricane not peering

William Pitcock nenolod at systeminplace.net
Mon Oct 12 18:04:22 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-10-12 at 10:47 -0700, Seth Mattinen wrote:
> Patrick W. Gilmore wrote:
> > On Oct 12, 2009, at 12:52 PM, Randy Bush wrote:
> >
> >> sure would be nice if there was a diagnosis before the lynching
> >
> > If this happened in v4, would customers care 'why' it happened?
> > Obviously not.
>
> I suspect more NAT will become a better solution than migrating to IPv6
> if/when runout becomes a problem because there's just not enough
> visibility or providers that take it seriously enough for IPv6 to be a
> viable solution. I try to do my part but it's a horrible pain.

And then you have the hoards of DSLreports people screaming about how
they do not have a routeable IP address anymore, which is bad for
business, and then IPv6 comes about because the people *demand* it.
(although they do not necessarily know they are demanding that -- what
they are demanding is the ability to continue having publically
routeable IP addresses for their broadband connection.)

William