Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

Fred Baker fred at cisco.com
Sat Oct 10 21:27:07 UTC 2009

On Oct 9, 2009, at 5:38 PM, Dragos Ruiu wrote:

> Well, since it's been documented that internet speed / usage varies
> with
> the weather (it gets faster when it's sunny, slower when it rains)
> I'm sure some
> seasonal correlation could be found.

Could you point to the documentation?

I having trouble with language that sounds like one concept and I
suspect is in fact another. Take as one example the basic digital
signaling hierarchy. The specifications call for a certain rate plus
or minus some number of parts per million. If they are within
tolerance, the amount that they would speed up or slow down is
measured in a pretty small number of bits per second. So I don't think
the speed of the links is materially changing. If on the other hand we
are discussing the volume of traffic using that available capacity, it
is absolutely clear that there are diurnal, weekly, and seasonal
variations as well as growth in time.

Are we talking about bit rate, which one might expect to be modified
by environmental characteristics and is in fact very tightly
controlled to prevent that, or traffic volume?