Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

Scott Morris swm at emanon.com
Wed Oct 7 18:22:31 UTC 2009

I may be having my wires a little crossed (I'm not an electrical
engineer) but I was always under the impression that manipulation of the
physical characteristics like that from heat/dampness didn't reduce the
"speed" but the "quality" (like line noise/errors/etc) of the line.

Whether old telco lines or newer data lines it's all about electrical
signal and bit error rates.  More errors = more retransmissions = slower
perceived throughput.

Just my thinking.

Scott