Does Internet Speed Vary by Season?

Bret Clark bclark at spectraaccess.com
Wed Oct 7 14:27:38 UTC 2009

Yeah I have to agree...that article was poorly written and clearly the
author has little understanding of physics.  "Velocity" has absolutely
nothing to do with Wiedemann-Franz law, we are talking resistance and
that determines current through the wire; not how fast the electrons are
flowing through the wire.  Plus unless you are selling services on
Mercury or Pluto, the temperature extremes between summer and winter are
not enough to affect the resistance level of a copper in such a manner
that it would affect the current on the circuit.

We all have traffic utilization graphs, and, at least in my case, its
pretty obviously that trends are affected by seasons only in terms of
vacation, holidays, and eve if it's a Monday or a Friday.  If we need to
do major backbone upgrades, we try to schedule around a holiday weekend,
because that's when we find Internet traffic to be the least (well from
a business utilization point of view).

Bret