Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Wed Oct 7 13:25:53 UTC 2009

On Oct 6, 2009, at 4:27 PM, Joe Greco wrote:

>> Someone else pointed out that if the system in question has been
>> botted/owned/pwn3d/whatever
>> you want to call it, then, you can't guarantee it would make the 911
>> call correctly anyway.
>
> I realize that many NANOG'ers don't actually use the technologies that
> we talk about, so I'm just going to correct this:
>
> You seem to be under the mistaken assumption that most people using
> VoIP
> do so using their computer.  While it kind of started out that way
> years
> ago, it simply isn't so anymore.  Most VoIP services can be
> configured to
> work with an analog telephony adapter, providing a POTS jack.  Most
> VoIP
> services even provide one as part of the subscription, sometimes for a
> fee.

I do use VOIP, bot computer and non-computer based.  None the less, the
fact remains that should any of my systems become compromised, my
ability to make a VOIP phone call is in doubt regardless of what the
provider does.

Additionally the problems of DDOS sourced from a collection of
compromised
hosts could be interfering with someone else's ability to make a
successful
VOIP call.

Abuse sources should be blocked from impacting the rest of the network.

This blocking should be as narrow as possible.

Owen