ISP customer assignments

Kevin Loch kloch at kl.net
Tue Oct 6 16:12:05 UTC 2009

Owen DeLong wrote:

> Part of the reason that 128 bits was chosen (64 bits is FAR more than
> enough) was that it allowed for 64 bits of stateless auto-configuration
> (IEEE was already pushing EUI-64) within each network and still
> provided more than enough network numbers.

I'm sure the Really Smart People over at the IETF could have figured
out a way to do auto configuration with "just" 16 bits of /112 (or
a /48 of 64 bit space).

It will be interesting to see if things evolve to using /112's anyway
just to escape auto configuration.  I use them for router links and
server subnets because it's a convenient boundary for notation.

- Kevin