ISP customer assignments

Brian Johnson bjohnson at drtel.com
Tue Oct 6 15:09:45 UTC 2009

Rick et al,

I work at an ISP, and I know staff at several other ISPs, we are all
trying to do this right. If a /56 makes sense and is supported by the
IPv6 technology and we won't have issues supplying these to customers
(technically speaking), then we will most likely do this or something
similar. The issue is more of a nuanced issue.

There seems to be a variance between "It's OK to just give out a /64" to
"You better be thinking about giving out a /48". I can live in those
boundaries and am most likely fine with either. I'm leaning toward a /56
for regular subscribers and a /48 only for business or large scale
customers, and undecided on dial-up. How does this sound?

This wasn't suppose to digress to this level of vitriol.

- Brian