ISP customer assignments

Ricky Beam jfbeam at gmail.com
Tue Oct 6 02:53:17 UTC 2009

On Mon, 05 Oct 2009 18:55:35 -0400, Dan White <dwhite at olp.net> wrote:
> All of the items in the above list are true of DHCP. ...

In an IPv4 world (which is where DHCP lives), it's much MUCH harder to
track assignments -- I don't share my DHCP logs with anyone, nor does
anyone send theirs to me.  From the perspective of remote systems (ie. not
on the same network), there is about a 100% chance NAT is involved making
it near impossible to individually identify a specific machine, even if it
gets the same address every Tuesday when you're at Starbucks for coffee.
IPv6 does away with NAT (or it's supposed to); in doing so, the veil is
removed and everything that had been hidden from site is now openly
displayed.  If the "host" part of your address never changes, then you are
instantly identifiable everywhere you go, with zero effort, forever.

--Ricky