ISP customer assignments

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Oct 6 00:05:57 UTC 2009

If people start getting /32s because some ISPs are refusing to route /
48s, then,
the RIRs are not doing their stewardship job correctly and we should
resolve
that issue.

If addresses are handed out according to policies, there is more than
enough
space for every individual to have a /48. I think that /56s for
residential customers
are probably a good idea and I agree that /48s are usually excessive
for residential.

(a /64 is far more than a billion addresses since 32 bits if 4 billion
and a /64 is
whatever number 4 billion^2 works out to, basically 16 followed by
lots more
digits).

As a residential customer, if you get a /64, then, your ISP is really
limiting you
in ways they should not.  You should get at least a /56 in most cases.

I think that comparing this to class Bs is kind of absurd, and, I
think that the
people talking about lessons learned haven't really analyzed the lessons
very well.

The argument of "lessons learned" usually centers around the idea that
we should regard address space as finite and seek ways to maximize its
use.

The reality is that is not the best lesson.  That is what you do when
address
space is finite and insufficient and you can't make use of extra bits
to do
other optimizations.  Therefore, the best lesson to learn is simply
that the
IPv4 space was simply not large enough and that we need a much much
much larger space with bits available to do other forms of optimization.

IPv6 does appear to contain that lesson rather well.  We have TONS
of bits available on each network for host addressing.  So much so that
complicated bizarre subnet address calculations and DNS reverse
delegation difficulties become a thing of the past (look at the hacks
necessary to delegate reverse DNS to 16 different /28 customers
in a /24 block, for example).

In essence, a class B was equivalent to a /56 in its original form, you
could carve it up into 256 /24s.  In IPv6, we have plenty of space
to issue /56 and even /48 networks to every small to medium business,
home, etc. and still have lots left over.  Large organizations and IPSs
easily get /32s which each contain 65,536 /48s, so, you can divide
your multi-national mega-corp into as many as 65,536 regions and
give each region a /48 and still be OK.

IPv6 offers so much address space that we could give every existing
IPv4 user an entire IPv6 ISP allocation (no, I'm not recommending this)
and still have enough /32s left over in IPv6 to give one to each ISP
and large mega-corp.

Lesson learned... The original address was far too small.  The new
address space is actually large enough that this is a pretty good guess
at how to generate addresses that will be fine for decades to come
and still have space left over.  In fact, so much so, that, to test the
theory, we're issuing 1/8th of it this way, and, if it doesn't work out
as planned, we can change the allocation policies for the other
7/8ths of the space.

So... Lesson learned... If we had tossed classful addressing
overboard in IPv4 when we allocated 1/8th of the address space,
most of the legacy /8s wouldn't be.

Owen