ISP customer assignments

Adrian Chadd adrian at creative.net.au
Tue Oct 6 00:09:57 UTC 2009

On Mon, Oct 05, 2009, Antonio Querubin wrote:
> On Mon, 5 Oct 2009, Robert.E.VanOrmer at frb.gov wrote:
>
> >The address space is daunting in scale as you have noted, but I don't see
> >any lessons learned in address allocation between IPv6 and IPv4.  Consider
>
> A lesson learned is that thinking about address allocation is something
> you do not want to spend too many precious seconds of your life on.
> That's one reason why the space was designed to be so big.  Being
> penny-wise and pound-foolish doesn't really save you much in the IPv6
> address space.

.. address aggregation?
.. convergence time?

I'm sorry, but seeing a good fraction of my local IX simply containing
a few ISP's deaggregated view of their "local" internal networks versus
a sensible allocation policy makes me cry. IPv6 may just make this
worse. IPv6 certainly won't make it "better".

adrian