ISP customer assignments

Carsten Bormann cabo at tzi.org
Mon Oct 5 16:18:12 UTC 2009

On Oct 5, 2009, at 17:38, Seth Mattinen wrote:

> The most common thing I see is /64 if the end user only needs one
> subnet, /56 if they need more than one.

Brrzt, wrong.  Neither the end user nor you know the answer to that
question!

So the only sensible thing is to always give them a /56.

(Actually, the IPv6 address architecture design was to give them a /
48.  Think about it: We will run out of MAC addresses before we run
out of those.  But some people can't manage the cognitive dissonance
coming from an address starving IPv4 world and then "wasting" all
these 2^80 addresses.  My parents, who grew up around WW2, were that
way, too, and never could unlearn their "saving" habits.  So the
current "wise" thing is to allocate a /56, "wasting" only 2^72
addresses per customer.  The only way back to a connected Internet.)

Gruesse, Carsten