Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility for botted clients

Gadi Evron ge at linuxbox.org
Sun Oct 4 20:20:09 UTC 2009

Christopher Morrow wrote:
> I would also point out that Qwest does this walled-garden approach for
> their customers (have been for at least 5 years now? DonS at qwest could
> clarify) and they've seen success with it. Aliant in .ca also has some
> fairly aggressive anti-malware works installed.  There are places
> where this sort of thing works well, planned and engineered properly.
> I think Qwest, at least, made some of their reasoning and design/goals
> publicly available for a time as well.

I think Jonathan Curtis did something similar at Bell, but I only spoke
with him about it for a couple of second two years ago, as Rio was
rather distracting. So am unsure.

Apparently, marketing departments like the idea of being able to send
customers that need to pay them to a walled garden. It also saves on
tech support costs. Security being the main winner isn't the main
supporter of the idea at some places.

	Gadi.