Dutch ISPs to collaborate and take responsibility for botted clients

Christopher Morrow morrowc.lists at gmail.com
Sun Oct 4 20:03:44 UTC 2009

On Sun, Oct 4, 2009 at 2:55 PM, Peter Beckman <beckman at angryox.com> wrote:

>  service being cut off.  However it is ignorance and lack of maintenance
>  that makes viruses and botnets so prevelant that it may just be time to
>  bite the bullet and force users to learn how to maintain their machines.

because this works so well with:

1) cars
2) home-security
3) personal security wandering around cities/towns

I note that I'm not particularly against any of the proposal, just the
'people need a drivers license to get on the interwebz'... it's been
tried many times before, always without success.

I would also point out that Qwest does this walled-garden approach for
their customers (have been for at least 5 years now? DonS at qwest could
clarify) and they've seen success with it. Aliant in .ca also has some
fairly aggressive anti-malware works installed.  There are places
where this sort of thing works well, planned and engineered properly.
I think Qwest, at least, made some of their reasoning and design/goals
publicly available for a time as well.

-Chris