Fiber Cut in Italy

Hank Nussbacher hank at efes.iucc.ac.il
Mon Nov 30 07:40:11 UTC 2009

The first cable cut occurred at 13:43 GMT close to Vernegues-France
involving a group of six cables, damaged by an excavator, interrupting the
service on the segment Marseille-Lyon.

The second cable cut occurred at 14:21 GMT on a highway near to
Milano/Bersaglio, about 530km away, interrupting the service on the segment
Milano-Zurich.

Service was restored at 1:40 GMT the next day.

It just shows that protected fiber rings do have an enemy - and his name is
Murphy.

-Hank