I got a live one! - Spam source

Rich Kulawiec rsk at gsp.org
Thu Nov 26 12:55:05 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 09:25:27AM -0800, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> I here people saying that they don't publish whois information because they
> don't want the email's made public.  Okay, at least  the registered company
> name, or individual who presented the ID should be there.

Without delving too far into this: there is no point whatsoever in attempting
to conceal or obfuscate email addresses --not any more.  It is an obsolete,
"cargo cult" practice that many are still engaged in without grasping that
it was quite thoroughly defeated by spammers and their associates years ago.

That said, I concur in full with your opinions in re whois data and
the need to assign it properly.  I've long since stopped trying to
deal with missing information and have adopted the rule that if the
neighborhood looks sufficiently bad, I just block a /24 worth.  That
may sound arbitrary, but in practice it works extremely well.

---Rsk