Multicast LDP or P2MP RSVP & LDP

Rob Shakir rjs at eng.gxn.net
Thu Nov 26 07:46:22 UTC 2009

On 26 Nov 2009, at 06:27, devang patel wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I just want to know about the deployment of Multicast LDP or P2MP
> RSVP and
> LDP is available from any vendor or they are still in draft status?

Hi Devang,

To the best of my knowledge, the only current P2MP LSP implementation
available is in JunOS [0]. The guys at Juniper wrote a draft relating
to their experience with scaling and implementing P2MP MVPN [1], which
is worth a look -- this draft mentions that IOS XR has an
implementation, although I struggled to find any documentation that
confirms this.

Both the LDP-based [2] P2MP standard are still in draft status, but
the extensions required in RSVP-TE for signalling P2MP paths are in
RFC4875 [3].

 From a couple of discussions I've had, there are not very many people
using this functionality -- with most common application being IPTV.
For traditional transport of multicast over an SP core, it's often
easier to provide some AToM/L2VPN service.

Hope this helps somewhat.

Kind regards,
Rob

[0]: http://www.juniper.net/techpubs/software/junos/junos91/feature-guide/configuring-traffic-engineering-p2mp-lsps-in-provider-tunnels.html
[1]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-joseph-p2mp-mvpn-experience-00
[2]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-mpls-ldp-p2mp-08
[3]: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4875

--
Rob Shakir                      <rjs at eng.gxn.net>
Network Development Engineer    GX Networks/Vialtus Solutions

This email is subject to: http://www.vialtus.com/disclaimer.html