Who doesn't have AS 1712?

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Wed Nov 25 10:32:16 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 25, 2009 at 06:36:13PM +0900, Randy Bush wrote:
> > Perhaps the RIRs could get together and agree on a common whois syntax so
> > that when I check one RIR with one syntax - it would work on others as
> > well?  This issue has been around for over 7 years and I can't understand
> > why the RIRs can't find common ground for the sake of the end users?
>
> s/7/15/  it was already feeling like brickmarks on my forhead at the
> 	 first s'holm ietf in '95
>
> randy

	there are solutions, rwhois, iris, etc.  some require changed behaviours
	from the actors, (why RIPE decided unilaterally to change the flags/syntax
	of whois escapes me at the mo), and some do not.

	basically we are stuck w/ things like whois, swip, ad-nausea, due to
	simple intertia.

	and here is a saving grace...  IPv6.

	once, abt 8/9 years ago, I was talking w/ Richard Jimmerson about the
	wonderful opportunity the RIRs had to build a scalable, extensable resource
	tracking system that could be easily deployed by the RIR clients and seamlessly
	integrated into a heirarchy of resource management segments.

	the rational was/is that the RIRs are handing out functionally the entire
	IPv4 address pool to any and all comers.  Thats the size of a /32, presuming
	one buys into the /64 chastity belt the IETF has wrapped around the lower 64
	bits.

	How is a lowly ISP expected to track/manage address assignments over such a
	huge space w/o decent toolage?

	so we can let our collective interia drag us down into increasing chaos or
	we can use this one time chance to pull our collective bacon out of the fire.
	After SIDR - I think development and deployment of this type of thing would
	be a worthwhile use of my RIR fees.

	YMMV of course.

--bill