Who has AS 1712?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Wed Nov 25 05:08:52 UTC 2009

On Tue, 24 Nov 2009, Joe Abley wrote:

> On 2009-11-23, at 21:32, Jon Lewis wrote:
>
>> Checking "global BGP" only works if the ASN is being announced at that instant.
>
> How do you announce an ASN?

Ok...bad wording.  s/announced/used to announce or propagate one or more
routes/

> Are you suggesting that I should be able to block the assignment of
> particular ASNs by simply including them in an AS_PATH attribute on a
> route I originate, and making sure that route shows up in route-views?

No...but that would hopefully be cause for further investigation before an
ASN is assigned.

With multiple orgs assigning from the same small pool of numbers, and an
early history of, shall we say, incomplete record keeping, a little extra
caution could avoid a lot of pain.

I would hope the number of orgs that would pollute the global table with
bogus AS Paths for the purpose of making more work for
ARIN/RIPE/APNIC/etc. is not very large.  If you want to announce certain
routes with "bogus" AS Paths to keep certain networks from seeing them,
that's one thing, but why would you do this with ASNs not currently
assigned?

  Jon Lewis                   |  I route
  Atlantic Net                |