Who has AS 1712?

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Nov 24 13:51:33 UTC 2009

At 0:32 -0500 11/24/09, Jon Lewis wrote:

>Lots of ASNs have been assigned but aren't visible in the global table.

And not all global networks (needing unique numbering) connect to the
global "public" internet.

At 8:36 +0100 11/24/09, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:

>Yes, very good idea. And to check the BGP public routing table also
>(belts and suspenders...)

That's a good check, but not sufficient.  When last we fixed an ASN
registration, the check showed that other ASN's we had were not seen
in that table.  We just mentioned "they are used on another
inter-network" and passed.

Kinda like "belts and suspenders" but let's make sure the fly is shut too. ;)

At 15:58 +0900 11/24/09, Randy Bush wrote:

>owned resources may not be announced or visible universally.

Right...or maybe in a different universe.

>existing data sources deeply suck.  rir source data are in different
>formats, owner identies are not even unique in one rir (how many names
>does goog have in arin?), let alone coordinated across rirs, much
>historical data is missing, ...

This is why an inter-registry database inspection tool is needed.
The traditional one is WhoIs - which as Randy mentions is too vague
in content.  (The WhoIs spec only says something about TCP to port
43...and nothing about the query/response formats.)  A tool like IRIS
is on the shelf that could be a platform from which to build
something better.

Checking the global public internet tables is a good first step, but
that's not all that is needed.  Such a step only gives credence to
uniqueness, but it doesn't guarantee it.

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

As with IPv6, the problem with the deployment of frictionless surfaces is
that they're not getting traction.