Who has AS 1712?

Jon Lewis jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Nov 24 01:25:33 UTC 2009

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009, Durand, Alain wrote:

> On 11/23/09 7:25 PM, "Randy Bush" <randy at psg.com> wrote:
>
>> how to prevent new instances, both asn and ip?
>>
> The whole value of the RIR is to guarantee this uniqueness. This problem
> should not have happened.
> The fact that it has is troublesome. I¹ll make a guess that this is a result
> of a clerical error somewhere in the chain...
> The answer to the above question seems to be stricter process.

Even after that clerical error happened, the subsequent error of assigning
an ASN that's already assigned should never have happened.  It seems
someone (probably multiple someones) never considered this possibility.

When assigning a subnet of our IP space to a customer or internal network,
first I look for a suitably sized block marked as "open" in our IP space.
Then I check our IGP to make sure that block isn't currently routed
somewhere.  It's a little disappointing that I ever find it is...but it
happens.  It just happened yesterday in fact.  A customer who had some
servers turned down had their subnet marked as available for re-use, but
it looks like they still have a few servers online in that VLAN and the
space obviously isn't ready for re-use.

Is it too much to ask that the RIRs query each other's whois servers for
an ASN before assigning that ASN?...just to make sure an ASN they think
they're responsible for and about to assign hasn't already been assigned
by another RIR?  That should have been an item on the RIR ASN assignment
checklist from the beginning.