Wan acceleration

Andrey Gordon andrey.gordon at gmail.com
Thu Nov 19 20:18:03 UTC 2009

I don't have much to add to already said, other than, when I looked at Cisco
vs. Riverbed vs. BlueCoat - Riverbed came out as a winner for a few major
reasons. Can't recall all of them anymore, but the one I think still stands
today is that Cisco and BlueCoat optimize protocols and, I believe, mainly
CIFS and HTTP. Maybe some exchange stuff, and a few major ones.
RIverbed claimed (and seemed to be true when we deployed them) that they
don't optimize protocols. They optimize bit streams, which allows them to
optimize a far greater number of protocols than Cisco or BlueCoat. At that
company, we had a lot of home grown network apps, so that mattered.
We deployed them in a few sites that suffered the most, most of them metro
area, but one was in Europe (when HQs are in US). Complains stopped.

Also, I can't recall if we tested the failure at the time (I think we did
and it worked beautifully to open), but today I work for a different company
and we have WAAS. Recent failure showed that they don't quite fail the right
way. We had it respond to configuration changes, but somehow, it would mess
packets up. Only a restart saved the day.

So in short, I'd recommend Riverbed.

-----
Andrey Gordon [andrey.gordon at gmail.com]