Policy News

Chris Meidinger cmeidinger at sendmail.com
Wed Nov 18 21:21:46 UTC 2009

On 18.11.2009, at 20:08, Jeff Saxe wrote:

> I don't think Steve meant a way to stop the CPU / process thread of retrieving email if it is hung talking to an email server, although thank you for that. I believe Steve meant "I want to keep reading the NANOG mailing list in general, but this particular message thread has zero interest to me, so as any new emails come in that are replies to replies to replies to this thread, just suppress them so I don't have to even hit Delete.". Something like that.

Ah, I thought you meant threads were blocking Mail.app from processing messages in other mailboxes. I subscribe to several imap boxes with over half a million messages in them, so I use activity monitor to kill sync all the time. Mail.app seems to not process anything else on the same account as long as it's busy processing a subscription for a particular mailbox, which can take forever in some cases.

As to the actual question, I use Mail.app in threaded mode anyway. When I'm not interested in a thread, I just let it collect messages and mark it as read every couple of days. I'm not aware of any way to tell Mail.app to quit showing messages from a particular thread.

Chris