AH is pretty useless and perhaps should be deprecated

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Nov 14 23:12:24 UTC 2009

On Nov 14, 2009, at 2:46 PM, Adam Stasiniewicz wrote:

> I have see AH used in network segmentation.  I.e. systems is group A are
> configured with rules to require all communication be over AH.  Systems in
> group B (which have no AH and no appropriate certificates configured) can't
> chat with group A.  The benefit of using AH vs. ESP in this case is twofold.
> First, AH is less CPU intensive, and when one considers enabling it on
> all/many workstations and servers in a company, that can add up to a lot of
> CPU cycles.  Second, since AH only signs, not encrypts, products like
> network analyzers, IDS/IPS, etc can still perform their functions.

ESP with NULL encryption only authenticates (not "signs") also.  However, one can't tell in a context-free way that NULL is in use.  If you're using it, though, I can't see how AH could be less expensive.

AH has been controversial for years.  I've been asking folks to delete it since 1995.  I've never succeeded...  At least RFC 4301 deprecated it to a MAY instead of a MUST for IPsec implementors.