Layer 2 vs. Layer 3 to TOR

Bulger, Tim Tim_Bulger at polk.com
Thu Nov 12 20:40:26 UTC 2009

If you use stackable switches, you can stack across cabinets (up to 3 with 1 meter Cisco 3750 Stackwise), and uplink on the ends.  It's a pretty solid layout if you plan your port needs properly based on NIC density and cabinet size, plus you can cable cleanly to an adjacent cabinet's switch if necessary.

Slightly off-topic.. Consider offloading 100Mb connections like PDUs, DRAC/iLO, etc. to lower cost switches to get the most out of your premium ports.

-Tim