Minimum IPv6 size

Grzegorz Janoszka Grzegorz at Janoszka.pl
Thu Nov 12 17:32:16 UTC 2009

Christian Seitz wrote:
> There ist also a loose and a strict filter recommendation by Gert Doering [1],
> but the strict filter is very strict at the moment. It allows only /48s from
> RIPEs IPv6 PI space 2001:678::/29 for example, although RIPE currently also
> assignes /47 or /46 from this range. Also there should be some deaggregation
> allowed. When RIPE allocates a /32 to a LIR and LIR has to deaggregate it for
> some reason, because he cannot get a second /32, he should be able to use (eg.)
> 4 bits for deaggreation. I don't want to see a /48 where RIPE allocates only /32
> prefixes, but I would accept prefixes up to a /36.
>
> [1] http://www.space.net/~gert/RIPE/ipv6-filters.html

I was thinking about such filters still for v4. Does anyone know if
there are any /8's which have no /24 prefixes assigned? I thought about
filtering out all deaggregated /24's from such /8's. (I care more about
memory of my routers than on a traffic profile of a small company on
another continent).

Another thing:

http://www.db.ripe.net/whois?form_type=simple&full_query_string=&searchtext=193.34.199.0&submit.x=0&submit.y=0&submit=Search

This is a normal /25 assigned as PI with route record /25. Are they
assigned in any given /8 prefix? If yes, you could easily allow /25's
from given /8.

--
Grzegorz Janoszka