Gig Throughput on IPSEC

Joakim Aronius joakim at aronius.com
Thu Nov 12 07:46:41 UTC 2009

* Truman Boyes (truman at suspicious.org) wrote:

> an SRX 3400/3600 you can scale up the performance of IPSEC VPN
> throughput with additional SPCs. You should be able to scale to over
> 6Gbps of IPSEC with enough SPCs.
>
> Truman

Yes, the SRX line of products is the most future-proof way to go. I had a meeting with Juniper technical sales a short while ago and they also stated that "performace figures of the SRX is more in line what you get in real deployments" (compared to the ISG and NS marketing material which have IPsec throughput figures which you probably not will see in the field, same as most vendors).
In the ISG and NS series you also need to be aware on capacity limitations in the cards and the backplane.

...and as no one else has commented on L2 security devices I assume that there is not many products for this (IEEE 802.1AE MAC Security). But on the other hand I suppose that there is mostly L3 people on this list and that the Metro Ethernet folks hangs elsewhere.. (I would go for IPsec.)

Cheers,
/Joakim