What DNS Is Not

Patrick W. Gilmore patrick at ianai.net
Wed Nov 11 20:56:55 UTC 2009

On Nov 11, 2009, at 3:48 PM, Florian Weimer wrote:

>> Since people need to *explicitly* choose using the OpenDNS servers, I
>> can hardly see how anybody's wishes are foisted on these people.
>>
>> If you don't like the answers you get from this (free) service, you
>> can of course choose to use a different service - for instance your
>> ISP's name servers.
>
> What if your ISP's name servers are those from OpenDNS?

1) You can personally opt-out of OpenDNS' NXDOMAIN stuff & such.

2) I don't really see how that makes a difference.  The point is, OpenDNS is not forcing anyone.  Your ISP has a policy you don't like, use a different ISP.  If there is no other ISP, well, I don't know what to tell you?  Start one?  Move?

End of day, it is an OPT-IN service.  If you happen to "opt-in" by buying service from your ISP, that does not change the basic premise.

--
TTFN,
patrick