BGP Peer Selection Considerations

adel at baklawasecrets.com adel at baklawasecrets.com
Tue Nov 10 09:52:59 UTC 2009

If nothing else by the time this deployment is finished I will surely have become extremely cynical.  Now reading through peoples answers, I think the general consensus is that
I would be giving too much control to provider A in the scenario I suggested below.  So as someone mentioned they have the ability to foul up my connections all by themselves.
>From all of this I gather that the most resilience would be provided by:

1) Go to two tier 1 carriers myself - say Global Crossing and Level 3.  Arrange to get two 100meg BGP feeds, burstable.  Pick them up at different datacentres as well I suppose to provide
datacentre redundancy?  Negotiate pricing, any tips on negotiating appreciated.

2) Arrange cross connects to these providers i.e. get to the datacentres the Tier1 providers are in. They are not on net at the colo we are in.  With regards to arranging the cross connects
am I able to ask the cross connect providers for fibre maps?  Is this a done thing or will they brush me off with "you don't need this our network is diverse?"

3) Arrange for PI space and ASN myself, so become an LIR through RIPE.

Do I really lose a lot by asking Level3 or GBLX to get the PI and ASN for me?  I think the failure mode cited by someone was if the PI and ASN provider goes out of business.  I would prefer
not to go through becoming an LIR and maintaining the membership, as they are not an ISP and so it is more attractive to do that through one of the Tier 1 providers.

I'm not sure what my options are in terms of getting to the datacentres to pick up the Tier1 providers.   The "provider A" below has said they run a diverse fibre backhaul network etc etc.
and I should go with them for connectivity to other datacentres.  Now it would be easier to go with them just because they are running colo for us and they run the datacentre we are in.
However I assume that I should not be scared of arranging a second cross connect with someone else altogether.

In all of the above,  I'm most worried about administrative overhead.  Managing two cross connect providers, managing ongoing relationship with two Tier1 providers and so on.  However
resilience comes at a cost I suppose is the answer.

Comments appreciated.

Adel

On Mon   7:10 PM , "William Herrin" herrin-nanog at dirtside.com sent: