What DNS Is Not

bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com
Tue Nov 10 01:10:14 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 09, 2009 at 04:52:35PM -0800, Buhrmaster, Gary wrote:

> [...]

	good question - does patrick own the domain or has he paid for
	the registration of mapping a string into a database? either? both?
	neither?

	I'll lay out what I just did in private email a moment ago.

	regardless of payment, ownership, or other considerations, we
	all (who manage a delegation  point) are stewards of that delegation.
	Patrick, as steward of a domain, feels certain behaviours are
	acceptable when he performs them within his stewardship, yet is
	nonplused when another steward does the exact same thing in a different
	delegation.

	not being able to resist the analogy....

	Its ok for me to practice indentured servitude in my home, yet when I
	see my neighbor practicing it in their home - I call the cops on her
	for practicing slavery.  and hope that no one notices me.

--bill