What DNS Is Not

Edward Lewis Ed.Lewis at neustar.biz
Tue Nov 10 00:59:58 UTC 2009

At 0:32 +0000 11/10/09, bmanning at vacation.karoshi.com wrote:

>	not being Paul, its rude of me to respond - yet you posted this
>	to a public list ... so here goes.
>
>	Why do you find your behaviour in your domains acceptable and yet the
>	same behaviour in others zones to be "a Bad Thing"...

Not being anyone who has posted on this thread on a public list...

I agree that the rules for what is acceptable in the operations of
DNS zones vary from zone to zone.  This is because of the different
relationships between the zone administrator and the entities
represented in the zone and the different relationships between the
zone administrator and the relying parties.

(I"m just going to pick on one "reason.")

For the root zone or aTLD (which themselves have differences) the
relationships tend to be global, multilingual, etc.  Stability and
coherence here are vital for operations, because as you know being in
"operations" really means "handling outages." Once a problem pops up,
it might take a while (hours, days) to go from report to root cause
analysis to long-term fix.  If the root and TLDs have lots of "bells
and whistles" then, well, this is hard, so the root and TLDs are kept
simple.

For a zone "lower in the stack" assumptions are different.  Generally
speaking, the zone represents a single entity (a government agency,
store, school) who will have a varying degree of active management of
what is in the zone.  They may even be able to "roll back" to some
point in time and see what is in the zone.  On-the-fly response
generation is even acceptable because they can see what mislead
someone, etc. (if they zone is properly run).  And by on-the-fly I am
including wildcards generated answers, calculated answers or answers
based on source of the request, etc., and other demographics or
current load measures.

As far as relying parties, think about "who do I call?" when I can't
get through.  They have two obvious choices - their ISP or the
organization they want to reach.  Calls will end up with the ISP if
the issue is high up in the zone, calls might get to the organization
if the problems are lower in the tree.   (Because perhaps they got to
the main web page but not to the department page.)

This is just one reason why it's reasonable to manage different DNS
zones differently, why the "rules" don't apply the same everywhere.
There are many other reasons.  But this is a public list.

Edward Lewis
NeuStar                    You can leave a voice message at +1-571-434-5468

As with IPv6, the problem with the deployment of frictionless surfaces is
that they're not getting traction.