Failover how much complexity will it add?

Holmes,David A dholmes at mwdh2o.com
Mon Nov 9 17:58:47 UTC 2009

Most purpose-built routing "appliances" use ternary content addressable memory (TCAM) in order to accomplish deterministic, hardware-based, longest-prefix lookups in large routing tables, such as a full Internet BGP feed. TCAM is used to replace software-based table lookup algorithms which have been empirically shown to lack scalability as the number of routes in the routing table increases, and as the line rate in/out of the routers increases. Current TCAM hardware-based routing engines scale to 10 Gbps, and beyond. Much research has been done in this area in the last 15 years.

I don't think general purpose BSD/Linux systems meet the scalability requirement for deterministic network design. Nothing political about that.