Failover how much complexity will it add?

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu
Mon Nov 9 17:36:42 UTC 2009

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009 13:39:34 GMT, Adam Armstrong said:
> Sure, if you want to hand over your entire profit margin to a 3rd party.
> Do you really want to give away the keys to your business, and rely
> entirely upon a third party organisation? Better to acquire the skills
> which are vital to your organisation yourself.

Umm.. You did that *anyhow* the instant you paid somebody else to run the
cables to your location rather than dig your own ditches.  Similarly for
electricity and everything else you don't create yourself.

> > NOTE: I am not an employee, or paid affiliate of packet exchange... I
> > have used them for services and am promoting them due to my own good
> > experiences with their services.
> >
> I used to work for them. Then as now, I honestly can see little purpose
> in their productset.

There's little purpose if you're an ISP that's supposed to be good at BGP
yourself.  If however, your business is running a /24 worth of webservers that
sells your company's product, and Best Practices says you should be multi-homed
but the in-house skill set runs more to Apache than BGP, a well-designed BGP
appliance can be a ghodsend.

(I admit I missed the OP's statement of what business line they were in).