Congress may require ISPs to block fraud sites H.R.3817

Steven Bellovin smb at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Nov 6 00:24:33 UTC 2009

On Nov 5, 2009, at 5:56 PM, Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:

> On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:40:09 CST, Bryan King said:
>> Did I miss a thread on this? Has anyone looked at this yet?
>
>> `(2) INTERNET SERVICE PROVIDERS- Any Internet service provider
>> that, on
>> or through a system or network controlled or operated by the Internet
>> service provider, transmits, routes, provides connections for, or
>> stores
>> any material containing any misrepresentation of the kind
>> prohibited in
>> paragraph (1) shall be liable for any damages caused thereby,
>> including
>> damages suffered by SIPC, if the Internet service provider--
>
> "routes" sounds the most dangerous part there.  Does this mean that if
> we have a BGP peering session with somebody, we need to filter it?

Also "transmits".  (I'm impressed that someone in Congress knows the
word "routes"....)

> Fortunately, there's the conditions:
>
>> `(A) has actual knowledge that the material contains a
>> misrepresentation
>> of the kind prohibited in paragraph (1), or
>
>> `(B) in the absence of actual knowledge, is aware of facts or
>> circumstances from which it is apparent that the material contains a
>> misrepresentation of the kind prohibited in paragraph (1), and
>
>> upon obtaining such knowledge or awareness, fails to act
>> expeditiously
>> to remove, or disable access to, the material.
>
> So the big players that just provide bandwidth to the smaller
> players are
> mostly off the hook - AS701 has no reason to be aware that some
> website in
> Tortuga is in violation (which raises an intresting point - what if
> the
> site *is* offshore?)
>
> And the immediate usptreams will fail to obtain knowledge or
> awareness of
> their customer's actions, the same way they always have.

Note the word "circumstances"...

> Move along, nothing to see.. ;)

Until, of course, some Assistant U.S. Attorney or some attorney in a
civil lawsuit decides you were or should have been aware and takes you
to court.  You may win, but after spending O(\alph_0) zorkmids on
lawyers defending yourself....