SIP trunk silliness after peering change

Adam Greene maillist at webjogger.net
Thu Nov 5 04:03:21 UTC 2009

Hi,

Does this make any sense? We (ASN 11579) peer to (2) WBS routers (ASN
19080).

We lost our link to the primary WBS router. After that, calls coming in
over our Bandwidth.com SIP trunks were fine in one direction only.
Callers could hear us, but we couldn't hear them. After 45 minutes,
things righted themselves.

Later on the primary WBS link came back up and went down again 5 minutes
later (not WBS's fault, we brought up and took down the BGP session).

Again we experienced the one-direction-only problem with Bandwidth.com,
but this time it lasted 2.50 hours. Again things eventually righted
themselves without our intervention.

Traces from us to Bandwidth.com were fine during the outage. We were
unable to get a trace from Bandwidth.com to us during the outage. Maybe
the only way to figure out what is going on is to get that return path
trace during an outage.

Has anyone else experienced issues of this nature (extended outage of
voice in one direction only) specifically with Bandwidth.com SIP trunks
as a result of simply changing one's peering with one's upstream provider?

Thanks,
Adam