Speed Testing and Throughput testing

Michael Helmeste mhelmest at uvic.ca
Wed Nov 4 22:49:42 UTC 2009

We had a problem where our (mostly research network connected, international) users were getting generally low HTTP transfer speeds, even though the path was often gigabit. The classic high bandwidth/high latency problem.

Initially I tried using iperf/ndt and friends but found that iperf required too much user knowledge and interaction, and NDT was sometimes inaccurate at diagnosing problems -- it seemed to be overly fond of saying there was a duplex mismatch or congestion. Iperf in TCP mode either requires manually seeking the number of streams to try and find optimum throughput, or doing window size tweaks.

I also found that packet captures were useful for discovering problems in the path; you can load it up in wireshark or tcptrace and get a sequence no. vs time graph, look for packetloss, or other good things like that.

Anyways I didn't find much out there in terms of automating this type of thing (simple throughput tests with packet capture) so I just ended up making my own. It does a dump of 10 sec. of test traffic, uses a somewhat dumb algorithm to seek up the number of TCP streams, and gets an AS path from a BGP route server and displays it to the user. The caveat is that it only tests your download speed, not upload, since that was primarily what I was interested in.

You can give it a try at: http://caranthir.dao.nrc.ca/netperf-www/ (login nanog/nanog). User guide here: http://www.cadc-ccda.hia-iha.nrc-cnrc.gc.ca/netperf/testdetail.shtml

I might end up packaging and releasing the code if there is interest.