HE.net, Fremont-2 outage?

Seth Mattinen sethm at rollernet.us
Wed Nov 4 18:39:57 UTC 2009

Joe Greco wrote:

> With power:
>
> N+1 is usually better than N
> Best to assume full load when doing math
> Things will go wrong, predict common failures
> The best plans are still prone to failure
> Safety margins can save your rear
> etc

I find that electrical panelboards, busways, transfer switches, etc. are
often put in the category of things that don't need maintenance or
routine inspections. Big deal if you can start your fancy generator once
a month (I prefer on-load weekly) but the in between stuff is in
disrepair or full of mice. Even a simple dusty transfer switch could arc
weld itself to once side of the contacts.

~Seth