HE.net, Fremont-2 outage?

dan syn dan.syn.ack at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 16:00:34 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 7:09 AM, Tico <tico-nanog at raapid.net> wrote:

>> Sometimes it is easier to picture things that way.
>>

> Regardless of generator sizing issues or disparities, if the ATS fails,
> then no amount of grid or generator power will keep the cabinets juiced up.
>
> Since this is the second time in recent history that this building has
> experienced a short power outage caused by ATS flakiness, perhaps keeping a
> small UPS in the cabinet isn't such a bad idea? Even if the distribution
> switches/routers lose power, at least the servers wouldn't have to go
> through fscks and DB integrity checks due to unplanned power loss, and the
> recovery time would be significantly faster.
>
> Hell, for a 5 minute power outage, some of my services were down for 20
> minutes. I'll happily take a 75% reduction in downtime for the cost of a UPS
> , though clearly redundancy across more reliable datacenters is a better
> solution.

Maybe some of us [[soon-to-be-]ex-]customers of Hurricane can bake them a
cake and beg for UPSes.
 Or reliable power.
Or for someone to actually answer the voicemails much less phone calls
within even a few hours of an outage.
Or for there to be at the very least a status page notifying customers that
they are, in fact, screwed, and for how long, and that it's useless to
continue trying to get through at such time.

Who's with me?