HE.net, Fremont-2 outage?

Joe Greco jgreco at ns.sol.net
Wed Nov 4 04:03:06 UTC 2009

> Jeffrey Lyon wrote:
> > FWIW: http://www.he.net/releases/release18.html
>
> No date on that 'press release' but the way back machine helps put it
> somewhere in 2002. A lot of good this "Alameda" sized generator has done
> recently...
>
> http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.he.net/releases/release18.html

2MW isn't super huge or anything.  I would expect that, given the size
I have been led to believe HE is, they've got a lot more than that now.

My memory is that Alameda isn't huge, but it isn't small either.  I'm
not sure ..  ah, here

http://www.reuters.com/article/pressRelease/idUS179594+03-Apr-2009+BW20090403

peak 70MW

I'm not sure what the basis for the claim is that a 2MW generator is
"large enough to power the entire city of Alameda" ...  2MW gensets are
common enough in this business and it's possible to burn through 2MW in
a few hundred racks.  It isn't *that* much power.

A more conventional comparison might be to something like a hospital; one
of our local hospitals installed a 1.25MW generator which, IIRC, powers
all critical circuits.

http://hhenergyservices.com/electrical/photos.php?category_id=2845&subcategory_id=5027&id=196&number=7

Sometimes it is easier to picture things that way.

... JG