small site multi-homing (related to: Small guys with BGP issues)

Joel Jaeggli joelja at bogus.com
Tue Nov 3 18:05:09 UTC 2009

Valdis.Kletnieks at vt.edu wrote:
> On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 08:11:15 PST, Mike said:
>>     Small-site multi-homing is one of the great inequities of the
>> Internet and one that can, and should, be solved. I envision an Internet
>> of the future where anyone with any mixture of any type of network
>> connections can achieve, automatically, provider independence and
>> inbound/outbound load sharing across disparate links.

Hey there's always LISP, they even have code...

http://www.ietf.org/dyn/wg/charter/lisp-charter.html

The largest inequity of all is that cost delta to you when advertise one
more prefix (minor) vs the collective cost to the whole internet of
carrying it.

The fact is that a combination of technical conventions, business
considerations, and social pressures retard the growth in the routing
table to a rate which while not all that desirable from some
perspectives is manageable.  It continues to be the case that the
barrier to entry  is relatively low as the existance proof of new
entrants routinely shows.

There is in fact nothing other than a little money, time, and a business
 need between you and multihoming. The fact that it may not be as cheap
or convenient as some might like is not the product of discrimination...