Speed Testing and Throughput testing

William F. Maton Sotomayor wmaton at ryouko.imsb.nrc.ca
Tue Nov 3 12:19:51 UTC 2009

On Tue, 3 Nov 2009, Jason Biel wrote:

> Please take note with using iperf that you'll want to make sure the
> appropriate TCP Window Size has been negotiated.  We recently did some
> testing with systems that had decided to pick less than optimal window sizes
> and in turn had to manually set the size within iperf options.

Indeed this is true.

Also, if you use one of the Internet2 network test web100-enabled servers,
you can try testing through a web browser.  There's both NPAD and NDT on
distributed on different nodes, although each has its own slightly
different tests.  It's also not a bad set of tools for support people
wanting to troubleshoot bandwidth problems caused by duplex misconfigs.

> Jason
>
> On Tue, Nov 3, 2009 at 4:01 AM, Benoit VANNIER <benoit.vannier at apog.net>wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Iperf is pretty good at this ... It s free
>>

>> Ben

wfms