Speed Testing and Throughput testing

Jon Meek meekjt at gmail.com
Mon Nov 2 23:22:19 UTC 2009

I use iperf with packet capture on both sides, then analyze the packet
capture for per-second throughput and re-transmits. I usually do 10
TCP streams for 30 seconds.

Note that on GigE with significant RTTs (5-15 ms) some TCP tuning is
needed to deal with the bandwidth delay product. It is also possible
that Ethernet drivers will have an effect. Local testing of the pair
of test machines should be done if you can't get to about 980 Mbps on
a Gig link (keeping in mind the comment about TCP tuning as latency
increases).

Jon